Saturday, January 14, 2012
Grandma's Flower Garden
I have been fortunate to recently inherit my Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. The quilt is all hand pieced and hand quilted. This quilt was most likely made in the late 1800's to early 1900. I always have admired this quilt but so much more since I began quilting. I remember, as a child, sitting with my "Granny" as she would sew and always admired her beautiful handwork. I have my grandmother's treadle sewing machine and hope someday to piece a quilt top on it. Unfortunately, I didn't begin quilting until after her death and I know she would have been so thrilled for us to share this wonderful craft.
Today I am looking forward to a sewing day with a dear friend. I so enjoy spending time with her and it's especially fun to share our love of quilting. Our hubbies are buddies and they have a full day of activities planned so we are excited to do some serious quilting today! I was able to pull together a few UFO's to take along :-) !! The oldest one dates back at least 3 years ago and is something that I would like to finish in the next few months for a very special occasion. Just in case the recipient checks out my blog I had better not say too much more! We will see how things go!
Enjoy your weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I missed this post when until now. What a beautiful quilt and lucky you to be the proud owner. Hope your quilting day was fun and productive
ReplyDeleteI love the quilt, Jacquie, and I can understand how pleased you are to have it. I have one that is very similar that my grandmother made, and I consider it one of my treasures.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure you're even still blogging but just in case I just want to let you know that I'm awarding you a very special Liebster Blog Award. Come check out my post today to see what it's about.
ReplyDelete